I made a strawberry cake the night before and took a few slices along for dessert along with a strawberry sauce for drizzle. This is a really easy cake to prepare the night before and is a perfect summer treat – if the good weather returns!
- 100g caster sugar
- 125g butter
- 3 large free range eggs
- 2 tspn vanilla extract
- 1 tbspn baking powder
- 250g plain white flour
- 225g strawberries
- For the strawberry sauce:
- 200g strawberries
- 1 tbspn icing sugar
- 1 tbpsn cold water
- 1Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 3/ 160 C and line a 24cm square baking tin with baking paper.
- 2In a large mixing bowl add the sugar and butter. Whisk the butter and sugar (using an electric whisk) until smooth and creamy. Crack the eggs into the bowl and add the vanilla extract. Whisk again until smooth.
- 3Add the flour and baking powder and stir into the cake mix using a wooden spoon until everything is well combined.
- 4Pour the cake mix into the cake tin and smooth evenly. Layer the strawberries onto the top of the cake batter and press down slightly.
- 5Place in the oven for around 35 minutes or until golden. Poke a knife into the centre of the cake and if it comes out clean then the cake is ready. Leave to cool and set and then cut up into squares.
- 6To make the sauce: add everything to a blender and whizz until it forms a smooth sauce. Pour into a serving jug and place in the fridge until you are ready to serve or take to a picnic.